Fiber is an important part of our diet, it absorbs water and swells up in our digestive tracy which in turn prevents constipation. But due to the trend of eating processed food, we aren’t consuming fiber at all, which is leading to the development of several health related issues such as obesity. People who are trying to lose weight also need to consume fiber, to accelerate their weight loss. Fortunately, Chia seeds come to the rescue. Chia seeds belong to the mint family and are considered a superfood by many. Chia seeds expand when the sun is absorb water, they can hold upto to 10 times their weight in water or any other liquid. Here are 5 reasons why chia seeds are helpful in weight-loss:
1. Chia seeds are rich in dietary fiber, the fiber in chia seeds absorbs water which keeps you full for a long period of time. It also keeps the intestinal environment moist and prevents constipation.
2. One the reason Chia seeds are considered superfood is because they are loaded with polyunsaturated fats (PUFA), Chia seeds have a good amount of alpha linoleic acid, which in anti-inflammatory and helps improve cardiac health.
3. Chia seeds also have a good amount of protein, protein keeps you full for long too. An ounce of Chia seeds have 4.4 grams of proteins, which is vital source of protein if you’re vegetarian.
4. They are also full of antioxidants, these antioxidants fight free radicals and prevent aging. The antioxidants also help in losing weight and remove toxins.
5. Chia seeds increases the production of leptin, leptin is an hunger inhibiting hormone produced by fat cells. This in turn prevents occasional cravings and stops you form overeating accidentally.