Abhishek Ganguly, the CEO and CFO of Puma India, has resigned and will launch his own business.

Abhishek Ganguly

Abhishek Ganguly, the managing director of Puma India, Amit Prabhu, the company’s chief financial officer, and Atul Bajaj, the head of sales and operations, have all left the sportswear giant to launch their own athleisure brands.

According to two sources with knowledge of the situation, Karthik Balagopalan, who has worked with Puma India and is presently based in the company’s home market of Germany, would likely take over as the next president of Puma in India.

At the company’s launch in 2005, Ganguly joined the Indian division and eventually rose to the position of managing director in 2014. Under his leadership, Puma’s revenues more than doubled, going from Rs600 crore in 2014 to about Rs3000 crore in 2016. In his nine years as CEO, he also oversaw an aggressive shop expansion strategy that increased the number of doors from 150 to over 480 locations.

“Ganguly is leaving India after a protracted relationship. One of the insiders informed ET that the new business is in the athleisure industry.

An email inquiry to Puma India went unanswered.

The segment has benefited in recent years from rising athleisure demand and increased fitness awareness, while the travel boom has increased consumer spending on casual clothing.

Puma reported a 46% increase in sales in India for the year 2022, outpacing rivals Adidas, Nike, and Reebok combined with revenue of Rs 2,980 crore.

The company currently has more than a dozen ambassadors in India, many of them from fields other than sports, such as actor-singer Harrdy Sandhu and actor-entrepreneur Anushka Sharma.

About 60% of Puma’s sales come from footwear, with the remaining 40% coming from apparel and accessories. It added 69 additional stores in 2017 to bring the total to 480. Despite this, e-commerce accounted for more than 44% of company revenues.

India, which has 1.4 billion people, is one of the largest and fastest-growing foreign marketplaces for athletic goods firms, especially the Puma Group. The company has been investing in domestic production while lowering its reliance on imports. Today, half of its products are created, developed, and produced in India, up from less than a third three years ago.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest

OpenAI Appoints Pragya Misra as Government Relations Head in India

OpenAI, the renowned developer of ChatGPT and a frontrunner in artificial intelligence research, has taken a significant step in expanding its global footprint by hiring its first employee in India. Pragya Misra, appointed as the government relations head, will play a pivotal role amid India’s ongoing elections, which are crucial for shaping AI regulations in […]

Read More
Latest

From Retirement to Revitalization: The Growth of Senior Living in India

The world’s elderly population is surging and India is expected to accommodate upto 17 per cent of the world’s elderly population by 2050, said a report by CBRE South Asia Pvt Ltd. In India, the segment is witnessing substantial growth, driven by favorable demographics, rising chronic conditions, and increasing awareness. And with the rising number […]

Read More
Latest

Tata’s Strategic Moves in India’s EV Market: A Closer Look

  Tata Motors, a stalwart in India’s automotive sector, is making strategic maneuvers to capitalize on the evolving landscape of electric vehicles (EVs). With the recent announcement of importing Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) luxury electric cars under a new government policy, Tata is positioning itself at the forefront of the country’s electric mobility revolution. The […]

Read More